Friday 19 November 2010

"Sliding doors" moment or the fate changing moments of life

Have you ever watched "Sliding doors" the movie? If you do, you know exactly what I am talking about, if not you also know what I am talking about.. :P

watch the little video below to see how tiny little things change our life's fate...


Now coming to the topic, the reason why I decided to write about it, it is because there are moments like this one in the movie that you do not control, do not choose and cannot decide .. however there other situations where you clearly make a decision, that you know it is affecting, no matter what, the main course of your life! I knew I made that kind of decision when I decided to come to Nottingham. I could draw a tree with three branches based on the numbers of options I had before I took this decision. Each branch would represent three different lifes. One is the one I am living that derived from the fact that I chose Nottingham to do my PhD. There would be another one if I had chosen Manchester and another one for London. There would be multiple other less obvious and less likely options, but I am just saying the three I had in mind before I chose. And life continues like that all the time... Choose this, choose that, in detriment of other options and carry on to the end. Best option? I don't think that there is such a thing.. all options are potentially good because it is unknown what they drive you into and although I am not religious the bible presents a nice metaphor for these kind of episode, where you have a pretty and easy road that leads to hell and a steep and rough road that leads to heaven. I dont actually believe that the hard pathways are necessarily the right ones or the ones that lead to success and joy, but that is anyway not what the bible means, and not the point either.
What I want to say is basically that I feel that I did the right choice. I did not always thought that but given the present situation and the potential future it seems that I may have done the best choice. But how do I know? I don't know, I just feel, and yet I may change my opinion with whatever comes next, I don't think so. Now obviously there are "sliding doors" moments every day, and sometimes they maybe more important than we can actually think.

In the end there is nothing we can do about fate whether you believe it is pre-destined or not we cant plan ahead everything that's going to happen to us, there are so many variables that make it incredibly complex, no to mention the butterfly effect alone that introduces a lot of entropy! Probably I believe it makes sense that its this way and it gives life some sense too, but I still like to believe I did the right choice and that it wasn't a huge coincidence that I found here, in Nottingham, the guy of my life, who shares the same dreams as me and has similar life objectives.. I couldn't have found him anywhere else... therefore it was the right choice!

9 comments:

Pedro Ferreira said...

It's the little decisions that truly define us... I for one think that your choice was brilliant, but I might be biased about it ;)

ganda said...

how would you figure out if a decision was bad? The outcome sometimes might not be the one someone dreams about in the first place. however, No one can guarantee the outcome would be better if you decided differently in the first instance :)

Pippa said...

@Ganda, You are right, I thought I pointed that out in the text or at least I keep it in mind.. nobody will ever know about the results of decisions that were never made, and even if the result of one decision is bad it does not mean the others were better.. or worst! I only just felt that it was such a crucial decision I made to come here that I had to write about it :)

tiger said...

It has it all, humour, anger, sadness, love, compassion and a lot of lying. bifold doors Melbourne

jackjack said...

It has it all, humour, anger, sadness, love, compassion, situations, emotions and yes and a lot of lying. I agree.

small sliding doors

Anonymous said...

Sliding doors are really very attractive and they can simply make your home interiors majestic and beautiful. These interior doors are quite different from the rest of the doors and you can easily make your interiors special.

Roll Up Gate Repairs The Bronx

Unknown said...

Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject.
st. petersburg window company

Unknown said...

Hi...............
I have visited your post and found some information which is very important for me.So, please keep posting. sliding doors windows | casement door

Windows And Doors Las Vegas said...

This is an awesome blog. I completely enjoyed reading your blog.
Replace Glass Sliding Door
Windows And Doors Las Vegas
Glass Door Window Replacement